OSHA Citation: Worker electrocuted because employer did not ensure safety procedures were followed.

May 13, 2015

OSHA Regional News Release – Region 4

Worker electrocuted because his employer did not ensure safety procedures were followed
A preventable incident, OSHA report reveals

REDDICK, Fla. – Electrician’s apprentice was testing and repairing electrical transformers at a substation in Reddick when he was electrocuted by more than 10,000 volts. He was a 36-year-old husband and was a person who lived to make others happy.

On Oct. 15, 2014, he used a circuit testing technique that bypassed safety protocols designed to protect workers from electrical currents. He contacted an energized circuit and later died from injuries he sustained. The company knew workers bypassed safety protocols to conduct testing, but it did not enforce safety standards. Due to this practice, the company has a history of nonfatal shock injuries. 

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration inspected the utility company after learning of workers injury. OSHA found the company responsible for one willful and five serious safety violations. Proposed penalties total $90,000.

“[The Company] is aware of the fatal hazards that [the worker] and other workers are exposed to, but failed to implement control measures its safety team developed to protect employees,” said the director of OSHA’s Jacksonville Area Office. “This tragedy could have been prevented had management not delayed in making the workplace safe.”

To read more from this News Release from April 17th, 2015, click here.

 

<< Back To Safety News
Testimonials

"I want to first off say our class was a success and your instructor was excellent. All agree who went. We were entertained and instructed at the same time. I have 32 plus years of this type of training and most of the time it is a boring slide show … "

View More →