Leamington Greenhouse fined $120K after fatal workplace accident

October 19, 2020

Leamington Greenhouse fined $120K after fatal electrical shock

A Leamington greenhouse has been fined $120,000 after a worker died from an electrical shock in November 2018.
[Worker, 29 dies after being electrocuted – November 19, 2018]

Great Lakes Greenhouses Inc., a cucumber grower, pled guilty to failing to comply with a section of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in provincial court this week.

During the fatal incident, the worker was re-arranging wiring and doing breaker work when he received the shock.

The electricity had not been properly locked out as required by law, according to a news release form the ministry.

Along with the $120,000 fine, the company is also required to pay a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge, which goes to a fund to assist victims of crime.

 
For more information:
CTV News Windsor
CTV News Windsor- Article from NOV 2018
BlackburnNews
 
 

 

 

 

<< Back To Safety News