A construction worker died from electrocution on Monday morning in South Jordan, Utah.
Witnesses say they saw “flashes” while hearing an “explosion” at the same time, said South Jordan Police Sgt. Eric Hill.
Paramedics were called, but the man, who was identified as 50-year-old Shaun Robertson, died on scene before they arrived.
“It is extremely unfortunate that he was here working and doing his job, and had an unfortunate accident,” Hill said.
It was believed Robertson was part of a crew installing underground lines, he said. What exactly caused him to be electrocuted was not immediately known Monday.
Hudson Sand Mine, Peach, Georgia – July 2020
The morning of July 9th, 2020, a mine superintendent with 36 years of mining experience lost his life when he contacted energized high-voltage components in a 4,160 volt (4,160 VAC), three-phase electrical enclosure.
The accident occurred because the mine operator’s policies, procedures, and training were inadequate to ensure that the employees properly de-energized, locked out, tagged, and tested the 4,160 VAC enclosure and internal components prior to performing work on the circuits.
Click here for the full investigation report
“Best Practices” provided by MSHA:
- Follow these steps before performing electrical work inside a high voltage enclosure:
- Locate the high voltage visual disconnect away from the enclosure that supplies incoming electrical power to the enclosure.
- Open the visual disconnect to provide visual evidence that the incoming power cable(s) or conductors have been de-energized.
- Lock-out and tag-out the visual disconnect yourself. Never rely on others to do this for you.
- Ground the de-energized conductors.
- Verify circuits are de-energized using properly rated electrical meters and non-contact voltage testers.
- Ensure properly qualified miners perform all work on high voltage equipment.
- Wear properly rated and well maintained personal protective equipment, including arc flash protection such as a hood, gloves, shirt and pants.
- Train miners on safe work practices for high voltage electrical equipment and circuits.