Testimonials

Renewable Energy Company cited after fatality at New Hampshire Power Plant

 

U.S. Department of Labor Cites New Jersey Renewable Energy Company
Following Fatality at New Hampshire Power Plant

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited EWP Renewable Corp. doing business as Springfield Power L.L.C., for 25 safety violations after an employee suffered fatal injuries when he was pulled into a conveyor at the company’s Springfield plant in New Hampshire in November last year.

The Mount Laurel, New Jersey-based parent company faces $125,460 in proposed penalties. OSHA inspectors found that the conveyor and other machinery lacked required safety guarding, and employees were not trained in lockout/tagout procedures to prevent equipment from unintentionally starting.

Springfield Power was also cited by OSHA for fall hazards, electric shock and arc flash hazards, lack of adequate emergency evacuation and fire prevention, and hazardous energy control programs, according to a press release issued Friday, June 1st, 2018.

“This employer’s failure to protect employees resulted in a tragedy that could have been prevented if training was provided and machinery was appropriately guarded,” Rosemarie O. Cole, OSHA New Hampshire Area Director, said in the press statement.

The company has 15 business days from receipt of its citations and proposed penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director, or contest the findings.

Click here for more information from this OSHA News Release

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Burned While Working On Electrical Distribution Panel

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Burned While Working On Electrical Distribution Panel

Accident: 104328.015Employee Is Working On An Electrical Distribution Panel And

At 2:00 p.m. on March 15, 2018, an employee was setting up to install breakers in a live 480V distribution panel at the switch gear area for an office build-out. The employee made contact with the bus bars when a screw driver fell inside the electrical panel and he suffered first, second, and third degree burns to his arm and face from an arc flash. The employee was hospitalized.

Click here for the full accident report details.

Gold Mine Worker Suffered Severe Burns from Arc Flash Incident

Gold Mine Worker Suffered Severe Burns from Arc Flash Incident

A potential arc flash incident caused an electrical worker from the Central Norseman Gold Corporation to sustain severe burns to his hands and face while working in the Central Norseman gold mine. The incident occurred the morning of February 9, 2018 and is currently under investigation by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.

Andrew Chaplyn, the director of safety at DMIRS, confirmed that the site where the incident took place has been secured. The worker is currently in stable condition at the Fiona Stanley Hospital burns unit, where he has been since Thursday evening.

The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety confirmed it was investigating the incident, which occurred on Thursday morning at the mine, about 190km south of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.

Click here for the full story.

Arc Flash victim avoids injury thanks to PPE

This worker was able to escape an arc flash without injury because he was wearing his PPE and it very well could have saved his life.

SHERMAN, Texas (KXII) — An arc flash at the Panda Power station Tuesday in south Sherman sent one employee to the hospital.

An employee was de-energizing on a breaker, according to Panda Energy spokesperson Bill Pentak, when an arc flash occurred.

“The employee was wearing his PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) gear, and he was taken to the hospital,” Pentak said. “The worker was not injured, and he has returned to the job.”

Pentak said the employee was taken to the hospital as part of Panda Energy’s emergency protocol. The facility, Pentak said, was already shut down for scheduled maintenance when the incident occurred.

The company is investigating why the arc flash occurred, Pentak said.

Click here to read more on this incident.

OSHA Cites Wiring Subcontractor after Arc Flash burns worker at the Plant Bowen facility

Notes from OSHA Regional News Brief – Region 4

OSHA cites Georgia Power, wiring subcontractor after arc flash severely burns worker at the Plant Bowen facility; proposes $122K in fines

Employers failed to power down cabinet before electrician began work

U.S. Department of Labor OSHA inspectors opened an investigation on Oct. 27, 2015, after learning an electric arc flash injured a worker at Georgia Power’s Plant Bowen generating facility. When the arc flash occurred, a 48-year-old electrician was working on an electrical cabinet that was still powered. The ABB Inc. employee suffered second and third-degree burns to his hands, arms and torso.

Georgia Power received two repeated, five serious and two other-than-serious safety citations. The repeated violations relate to the employer failing to ensure the electrical cabinet was not powered down before allowing work to begin and not developing specific steps to power down machinery and prevent starting up during maintenance and servicing. Apparently, Georgia Power was previously cited for similar violations at this facility in 2014.

The company’s serious violations relate to its failure to:

  • Ensure proper grounding of electrical equipment.
  • Inform other employers of their electrical lockout program.
  • Provide adequate procedures for electrical energy isolation.

ABB Inc. was issued two serious citations. The serious violations relate to the employer’s failure to coordinate with other employers on the specific requirements of removing power from equipment before maintenance and servicing and exposing workers to electrical hazards.

Quote: “Every day, employees place their trust in their employers to keep them safe while they work, unfortunately Georgia Power and ABB failed to ensure the cabinet was properly de-energized before allowing the electrician to begin working. This incident was totally preventable if his employers simply followed OSHA standards,” said Christi Griffin, OSHA’s director of the Atlanta-West Office.

Click here to read the actual news brief from OSHA

 

Arc Flash Incident: OSHA fines company for “avoidable” hazards

OSHA Regional News Release – Region 2

Lack of protective equipment for electrician results in 1st and 3rd degree burns after arc flash. Steel manufacturer faces $147K in fines for “avoidable” hazards

According to OSHA, an electric technician at a steel manufacturing plant was removing wiring from a fan motor in an overhead crane, when an ungrounded electrical conductor touched a grounded surface causing an arc flash. The electric technician sustained third degree burns on her hand and first degree burns on her face.

An investigation by the [local] Office of the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration found that [the company] failed to provide and ensure the use of effective face and hand protection by its employees.

“These injuries were avoidable. [The company] has a responsibility to make sure that its electric technicians are properly trained, equipped with and using personal protective equipment to protect from arc flash. In this case, that would include a face shield and rubber insulating gloves…”

As a result of these conditions, OSHA cited the company for two repeat violations, with proposed penalties of $70,000 each for the lack of hand and face protection. The steel manufacturer was also cited for one serious violation, with a $7,000 fine, for failing to protect employees against contact with energized electrical equipment. Total proposed penalties are $147,000

To read more from the OSHA news release from May 4th, 2015, click here.