CAL/OSHA investigating circumstances leading to death of a Santa Rosa Water Worker at California Wastewater Treatment Plant
The employee was electrocuted and died Wednesday afternoon while working on a piece of equipment that was still energized.
The city refused to identify the employee while withholding other details about the death, saying the workplace fatality was being investigated. The Sonoma County Coroner’s Office had not released the victim’s name as of Thursday night.
The city followed up with their own call to state regulators about the fatality shortly after paramedics and police arrived at the scene, she added.
Cal/OSHA was told that thee employee had been doing work on an energized subpanel at the site before electrocuted, Cal/OSHA spokesman Lucas Brown said.
Click here for the original news brief in The Press Democrat
Modesto City Worker Dies of Electrocution While on the Job
An employee of the City of Medesto was electrocuted while on the job and city officials confirm the employee of six years has died.
It was a tragic work-related accident that took the life of Tyrone Hairston.
Candles and flowers have been placed near where Cal/OSHA says he was electrocuted while installing a street light.
In a statement to FOX40, the City of Modesto spokesman said Hairston was proud of his work as an electrician assistant and had a high work ethic. The city manager said in a statement:
“This incident is a tragic reminder of the hazards some of our employees face in the field, and underscores the criticality of our maintenance work.”
City of Modesto employees and his family are devastated. They say he was the kind of guy who helped anyone in need and greeted everyone with a smile.
Cal/OSHA says they are now investigating and add, “Cal/OSHA has six months to issue citations for any violations of workplace safety.” A spokesman said the cause of the accident will be made available when their inspection is complete.
The city manager ended his statement with, “We thrive under a culture of supporting one another, and should take this opportunity to show care for those around us.”
Story from FOX40