Testimonials

DeKalb Molded Plastic molding supervisor dies after electric shock

Butler, Ind. — A molding supervisor at DeKalb Molded Plastics Co. died on Aug. 4, less than a month after he suffered an electrical shock in a July 18 accident at the company’s Butler facility.

The company said Larry Griffin Jr. was working around one of the company’s presses, which was not in operation, when he received the shock. The company said the incident and the death have been reported to the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

The company released a statement saying that it was saddened by the news.

“The company sustains supportive efforts towards Mr. Griffin’s family, which include two sons, age eight and five, and his fiancee,” the statement said. “DeKalb Molded Plastics has a strong record of employee safety and continues to assure workplace safety as a No. 1 priority.”

DeKalb said Griffin worked at the custom structural foam molder for 10 years.
 
Click here for the Plastics News Report

Employer willfully failed to train employee for the hazardous electrical work he was directed to perform

OSHA News Release – Region 2

The Occupational Safety and Health Review Commission (OSHRC) has issued a decision affirming all safety and health citations issued by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) against Jersey City Medical Center. OSHA cited the medical center, based in Jersey City, NJ,  for electrical hazards after a maintenance employee’s fatal fall after receiving an electric shock. The judge also affirmed OSHA’s proposed penalties totaling $174,593.

In June 2016, the decedent – who was untrained in electrical safety work practices – was repairing a ceiling light fixture when the incident occurred. The judge found that the employer willfully failed to train the employee for the hazardous electrical work he was directed to perform. A three-day hearing was held in New York City in April 2018, and the decision from OSHRC issued on June 17, 2019.

“The outcome of this case shows the employer will be held accountable for willfully exposing employees to serious hazards, and the U.S. Department of Labor stands ready to litigate such issues when employers refuse to accept responsibility,” said the Department’s Regional Solicitor Jeffrey S. Rogoff, in New York.

Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act of 1970, employers are responsible for providing safe and healthful workplaces for their employees. OSHA’s role is to help ensure these conditions for American working men and women by setting and enforcing standards, and providing training, education, and assistance. For more information, visit https://www.osha.gov.

Renewable Energy Company cited after fatality at New Hampshire Power Plant

 

U.S. Department of Labor Cites New Jersey Renewable Energy Company
Following Fatality at New Hampshire Power Plant

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited EWP Renewable Corp. doing business as Springfield Power L.L.C., for 25 safety violations after an employee suffered fatal injuries when he was pulled into a conveyor at the company’s Springfield plant in New Hampshire in November last year.

The Mount Laurel, New Jersey-based parent company faces $125,460 in proposed penalties. OSHA inspectors found that the conveyor and other machinery lacked required safety guarding, and employees were not trained in lockout/tagout procedures to prevent equipment from unintentionally starting.

Springfield Power was also cited by OSHA for fall hazards, electric shock and arc flash hazards, lack of adequate emergency evacuation and fire prevention, and hazardous energy control programs, according to a press release issued Friday, June 1st, 2018.

“This employer’s failure to protect employees resulted in a tragedy that could have been prevented if training was provided and machinery was appropriately guarded,” Rosemarie O. Cole, OSHA New Hampshire Area Director, said in the press statement.

The company has 15 business days from receipt of its citations and proposed penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director, or contest the findings.

Click here for more information from this OSHA News Release

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Burned While Working On Electrical Distribution Panel

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Burned While Working On Electrical Distribution Panel

Accident: 104328.015Employee Is Working On An Electrical Distribution Panel And

At 2:00 p.m. on March 15, 2018, an employee was setting up to install breakers in a live 480V distribution panel at the switch gear area for an office build-out. The employee made contact with the bus bars when a screw driver fell inside the electrical panel and he suffered first, second, and third degree burns to his arm and face from an arc flash. The employee was hospitalized.

Click here for the full accident report details.

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: 23 Year Old worker Dies from Electrical Shock

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: 23 Year Old worker Dies from Electrical Shock

Accident: 101947.015 – Employee Dies From Electrical Shock

At 10:52 a.m. on November 30, 2017, Employee #1 was working on an energized female electrical plug at the “load out” line near door 1N of Building A, which conveys potatoes from the storage bin into trucks for transport to the processing plant. The employee had its female plug end partially disassembled, exposing the terminals, near an energized 480 volt electrical cord that was the outgoing power for the Spudnik eliminator. Employee #1 was found unresponsive, but was revived onsite by EMS and transported to a nearby hospital, where he died later that day.

Click here for the full accident report details.

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Worker is burned after receiving electric shock while replacing light ballast

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Worker is burned after receiving electric shock while replacing light ballast

Accident: 99730.015 – Employee Receives Electric Shock While Replacing Light Ballast

At 12:00 p.m. on October 9, 2017, am employee was working from a ladder to replace the ballast of a light fixture. During work, the employee received an electric shock and fell from the ladder. The employee sustained burns to one of his fingers and multiple contusions, which he was hospitalized and received treatment.

Click here for the full accident report details.