Appears to be due to an arc flash event at the substation
Three people were brought to hospital after being critically injured by an “electrical incident” at the Google data center in Council Bluffs, Iowa.
The patients are awake and talking, but were rushed to the Nebraska Medical Center in critical condition – with one taken by helicopter due to their condition.
“We are aware of an electrical incident that took place today at Google’s data center in Council Bluffs, Iowa, injuring three people onsite who are now being treated,” Google said in a statement.
“The health and safety of all workers is our absolute top priority, and we are working closely with partners and local authorities to thoroughly investigate the situation and provide assistance as needed.”
It is believed three electricians were working on a substation close to the main data center when an arc flash electrical explosion caused major burns.
See the full article from Data Center Dynamics here
A worker died during a construction accident at Charlotte Douglas International Airport in North Carolina in July. Rosendin Electric, a company based in San Jose, California, filed a report confirming the death with the NC Department of Labor. John Mallow, spokesman for the Department of Labor, said the death was caused by electrocution. The employee was found unresponsive at the construction site, Rosendin spokeswoman Salina Brown told The Charlotte Observer Tuesday afternoon. Brown also said OSHA and the company are investigating the death, in addition to the state.
Click here for the full article from the Charlotte Observer
A construction worker was electrocuted early yesterday during a work accident at 227 Cherry Street in New York City. The man reportedly sustained second-degree burns about the arms, neck, and head, but was conscious when paramedics arrived. He was later taken to the hospital in stable condition.
The Fire Department is investigating the incident and requested the Department of Buildings perform an inspection to learn more about what happened.
Click here to learn more about the incident.
Gold Mine Worker Suffered Severe Burns from Arc Flash Incident
A potential arc flash incident caused an electrical worker from the Central Norseman Gold Corporation to sustain severe burns to his hands and face while working in the Central Norseman gold mine. The incident occurred the morning of February 9, 2018 and is currently under investigation by the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety.
Andrew Chaplyn, the director of safety at DMIRS, confirmed that the site where the incident took place has been secured. The worker is currently in stable condition at the Fiona Stanley Hospital burns unit, where he has been since Thursday evening.
The Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety confirmed it was investigating the incident, which occurred on Thursday morning at the mine, about 190km south of Kalgoorlie-Boulder.
Click here for the full story.