Testimonials

Maintenance worker suffers electrical shock

Maintenance worker suffers electrical shock in accident at Capitol Monday, rushed to hospital

On the morning of December 21st, first responders rushed to the State Capitol building in Baton Rouge where a maintenance employee was shocked in an electrical accident.

The injured employee is reportedly awake and expected to recover. Officials say the injured employee was rushed to the hospital shortly after the incident, and is expected to recover.

According to the United States Department of Labor, electrocution has been one of the leading causes of on-the-job deaths among construction workers for years.

Click here for the full story from WBRZ

Leamington Greenhouse fined $120K after fatal workplace accident

Leamington Greenhouse fined $120K after fatal electrical shock

A Leamington greenhouse has been fined $120,000 after a worker died from an electrical shock in November 2018.
[Worker, 29 dies after being electrocuted – November 19, 2018]

Great Lakes Greenhouses Inc., a cucumber grower, pled guilty to failing to comply with a section of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in provincial court this week.

During the fatal incident, the worker was re-arranging wiring and doing breaker work when he received the shock.

The electricity had not been properly locked out as required by law, according to a news release form the ministry.

Along with the $120,000 fine, the company is also required to pay a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge, which goes to a fund to assist victims of crime.

 
For more information:
CTV News Windsor
CTV News Windsor- Article from NOV 2018
BlackburnNews
 
 

 

 

 

Site C Contractor Fined $662,102 by WorkSafeBC

WorkSafeBC fines Site C Contractor $662,102

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Peace River Hydro Partners, has been fined $662,102.48 by WorkSafeBC.

The fine was imposed on August 21, 2019, after a worker sustained an electrical shock injury. A worker was able to access the main circuit breaker in a high-voltage electrical cabinet for tunnelling equipment.

According to WorkSafeBC, the main electrical breaker extensions on the exterior cabinet door were not functioning, the de-energization switches had been circumvented and the main breaker switch-box isolation covers were in disrepair.

WorkSafeBC staff also determined that it was a standard work practice at this site to access the main circuit breaker without following lockout procedures.

A stop-use order was issued for the tunnelling equipment because Peace River Hydro Partners failed to ensure its equipment was capable of safely performing its functions, and was unable to provide its workers with the information, instruction, training, and supervision necessary to ensure their health and safety.

WorkSafeBC says these were both repeated violations.

This is the largest fine WorkSafeBC can issue under B.C. legislation.  The report from WorkSafeBC did not disclose the condition of the worker or the exact date of the incident.

Click here for this article from EnergeticCity.ca

West Virginia officials say a 40-year-old coal mine electrician has died in an accident.

West Virginia officials say a 40-year-old coal mine electrician has died in an accident.

CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — West Virginia officials say a 40-year-old coal mine electrician has died in an accident.

The West Virginia Office of Miners’ Health, Safety and Training says Steven Vernon Keeney of Sylvester died of injuries from an apparent electrical shock.

 The accident happened at 12:18 a.m. Tuesday at the Panther Creek Mining American Eagle Mine in the Kanawha County community of Cabin Creek. Keeney was a certified electrician at the mine.

The agency’s inspectors are investigating.

It is the third coal mining fatality in West Virginia this year and the 10th nationwide. The U.S. Mine Safety and Health Administration says four have occurred in Kentucky, two in Pennsylvania and one in Illinois.

Gov. Jim Justice said he and first lady Cathy Justice were sad to hear about the loss.

Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Click here for the article from US News.

Contractor dies after electrical shock

MERCER, Pa. (WKBN) – A contractor working near the SCI Mercer prison has died after an electrical shock, according to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections.

The accident happened around 8:10 a.m. Thursday outside of the perimeter of the Mercer County prison.

According to the Department of Corrections, the worker was cleaning the facility’s diesel fuel tank when the worker came in contact with a high tension wire, leading to the shock.

Click here to read more from this article

Construction worker loses his life due to apparent electrical shock

SALT LAKE CITY — A 33-year-old construction worker died from an electrical shock at a job site in Salt Lake City, officials said Tuesday morning.

The man was a sub-contractor doing electrical work for an expansion being built at the state archives located at 346 S. Rio Grande Street, said Salt Lake City police detective Greg Wilking.

It appears the man died Monday afternoon from an electrical shock, but was working alone in the corner of a room that is not easily visible, according to Wilking. Co-workers did not notice him and closed the construction site for the night.

The man’s wife contacted the company when her husband did not come home, but the company had no information.
Co-workers searched the construction site Tuesday morning and found the man’s body.

Click here to read more directly from the KSL article