A construction worker died from electrocution on Monday morning in South Jordan, Utah.
Witnesses say they saw “flashes” while hearing an “explosion” at the same time, said South Jordan Police Sgt. Eric Hill.
Paramedics were called, but the man, who was identified as 50-year-old Shaun Robertson, died on scene before they arrived.
“It is extremely unfortunate that he was here working and doing his job, and had an unfortunate accident,” Hill said.
It was believed Robertson was part of a crew installing underground lines, he said. What exactly caused him to be electrocuted was not immediately known Monday.
OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Contacts Energized Circuit and is Electrocuted
Accident: 118245.015 — Report ID: 0521700 — Event Date: 07/20/2019
Employee #1 and two coworkers, employed by an electrical services company, were installing wiring and Acuity Brands BLT/BLC LED Luminaire lights in a school classroom.
Employee #1, an electrician, was working from an 8-foot fiberglass ladder and checking an installed light that had shorted out. Coworker #1, the crew foreman, went to turn off the breaker that supplied power to the classroom. Before the power stopped transmitting to the room, Employee #1 made contact with an energized circuit, sustained an electrical shock, and fell from the ladder. Employee #1 was transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead from electrocution.
Click here for the full accident report details from OSHA.gov.