A construction worker died from electrocution on Monday morning in South Jordan, Utah.
Witnesses say they saw “flashes” while hearing an “explosion” at the same time, said South Jordan Police Sgt. Eric Hill.
Paramedics were called, but the man, who was identified as 50-year-old Shaun Robertson, died on scene before they arrived.
“It is extremely unfortunate that he was here working and doing his job, and had an unfortunate accident,” Hill said.
It was believed Robertson was part of a crew installing underground lines, he said. What exactly caused him to be electrocuted was not immediately known Monday.
Maintenance worker suffers electrical shock in accident at Capitol Monday, rushed to hospital
On the morning of December 21st, first responders rushed to the State Capitol building in Baton Rouge where a maintenance employee was shocked in an electrical accident.
The injured employee is reportedly awake and expected to recover. Officials say the injured employee was rushed to the hospital shortly after the incident, and is expected to recover.
According to the United States Department of Labor, electrocution has been one of the leading causes of on-the-job deaths among construction workers for years.
Houston Plant, Harris, TX – November 2020
MINE FATALITY- On November 23, 2020, a miner was electrocuted while troubleshooting a disconnect box for the classifier drive motor. The victim had the electrical disconnect box open and the main power supply was not deenergized.
“Best Practices” provided from MSHA:
Ensure electrical circuit components are properly designed and installed by qualified electrical personnel.
Ensure electrical troubleshooting and work are performed bypeople with proper electrical qualifications. Positively identify thecircuit on which work will be conducted.
Before performing electrical work, locate the visual disconnectaway from an enclosure and open it, lock it, and tag it, to ensureall electrical components in the enclosure are de-energized. Verify by testing for voltage using properly rated test equipment.
Wear properly rated and well maintained personal protective equipment, including arc flash protection such as a hood, gloves, shirt and pants.
Train miners on safe work practices for electrical equipment and circuits.
Click here for the full report from the United States Department of Labor
The city refused to identify the employee while withholding other details about the death, saying the workplace fatality was being investigated. The Sonoma County Coroner’s Office had not released the victim’s name as of Thursday night.
The city followed up with their own call to state regulators about the fatality shortly after paramedics and police arrived at the scene, she added.
Cal/OSHA was told that thee employee had been doing work on an energized subpanel at the site before electrocuted, Cal/OSHA spokesman Lucas Brown said.
Tully man who died at Novelis aluminum facility was electrocuted, deputies say
A man who died while working at the Novelis Inc. aluminum factory in Oswego County on Friday morning appears to have been accidentally electrocuted, deputies said.
Peter Clark Jr., 54, of Tully, was electrocuted while working as a contractor at the Scriba factory, said the Oswego County Sheriff’s Office. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Clark worked for Ridley Electric, a Syracuse company. Friday wasn’t the first time he had done a job at Novelis.
“Pete was a frequent visitor to our facility, and many of our employees knew him well and admired him at work and in the community,” said Leila Giancone, a Novelis spokeswoman.
Clark’s death remains under investigation, the sheriff’s office said.
Novelis, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Ridley Electric are also working together to investigate the deadly accident, Giacone said. She declined to release more information about what happened.
Clark was a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 43 union.
Click here for the full article
An electrical explosion killed an Amtrak worker in a Bronx power substation Thursday morning, officials said.
The explosion erupted about 11:30 a.m. in Con Ed’s Van Nest Yard, which the company shares with Amtrak, on Unionport Road near White Plains Road in Parkchester.
The Amtrak worker was electrocuted, according to police. Two other people suffered minor injuries, officials said.
Authorities cut the power and were on scene investigating.
Ron Seabrook, 76, who’s lived near yard for 30 years, said the workers should have been better protected from harm.
“Something had to be exposed for him touch something or do something for him to lose his life,” he said. “It makes me feel bad for that individual, whoever it was. I’m quite sure they felt they were safe.”
Click here for the full article from NY Daily News