Testimonials

Electrical burst kills Amtrak worker in the Bronx, article from NY Daily News

An electrical explosion killed an Amtrak worker in a Bronx power substation Thursday morning, officials said.

The explosion erupted about 11:30 a.m. in Con Ed’s Van Nest Yard, which the company shares with Amtrak, on Unionport Road near White Plains Road in Parkchester.

The Amtrak worker was electrocuted, according to police. Two other people suffered minor injuries, officials said.

Authorities cut the power and were on scene investigating.

Ron Seabrook, 76, who’s lived near yard for 30 years, said the workers should have been better protected from harm.

“Something had to be exposed for him touch something or do something for him to lose his life,” he said. “It makes me feel bad for that individual, whoever it was. I’m quite sure they felt they were safe.”

Click here for the full article from NY Daily News

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Contacts Energized Circuit And Is Electrocuted

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Contacts Energized Circuit and is Electrocuted

Accident: 118245.015 — Report ID: 0521700 — Event Date: 07/20/2019

Employee #1 and two coworkers, employed by an electrical services company, were installing wiring and Acuity Brands BLT/BLC LED Luminaire lights in a school classroom.
Employee #1, an electrician, was working from an 8-foot fiberglass ladder and checking an installed light that had shorted out. Coworker #1, the crew foreman, went to turn off the breaker that supplied power to the classroom. Before the power stopped transmitting to the room, Employee #1 made contact with an energized circuit, sustained an electrical shock, and fell from the ladder. Employee #1 was transported to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead from electrocution.

Click here for the full accident report details from OSHA.gov.

“Electrical arc formed…. and electrocuted him”

Man electrocuted in accident in Fermont

CNESST, the provincial workplace, health and safety commission, has opened an investigation.

A 62-year-old man was electrocuted Saturday morning while trying to remove a backhoe that got stuck in some electrical wires in Fermont, a town on the North Shore near the border with Labrador.

The backhoe slid down a slope on Highway 389, coming to a stop near the wires, according to the Sûreté du Québec.

The man was in the process of retrieving the backhoe when an electrical arc formed from the wires and electrocuted him.

He collapsed in the snow and was pronounced dead after being transported to hospital.

Employees from Hydro-Québec and Transports Québec arrived to secure the area.

Click here for the article from the Montreal Gazette

OSHA cites solar contractor almost $40,000 after fatal electrocution of one of their workers

OSHA cites solar contractor almost $40,000 after fatal electrocution of one of their workers

The agency said Wednesday that it cited Power Factor LLC for four serious violations after the employee, who has not been identified, died July 24, 3018, while installing solar panels at the base. In their findings, the agency says the employee was hoisting a metal rail that came into contact with overhead power lines.

OSHA cited the company for allowing employees to work too closely to electrical power circuits without de-energizing and grounding the circuits, or guarding the circuits using insulation or other means. Officials also said the company didn’t regularly inspect the job site or train workers to recognize and avoid hazards.

“This tragedy could have been prevented if the employer had complied with electrical standards that require maintaining a safe distance from unprotected energized power lines, training employees, and providing personal protective equipment,” said OSHA Wichita Area Director Ryan Hodge.

Click here to read more directly from the OSHA news release

Shock and Burn at Extell project site

A construction worker was electrocuted early yesterday during a work accident at 227 Cherry Street in New York City. The man reportedly sustained second-degree burns about the arms, neck, and head, but was conscious when paramedics arrived. He was later taken to the hospital in stable condition.

The Fire Department is investigating the incident and requested the Department of Buildings perform an inspection to learn more about what happened.

Click here to learn more about the incident.