Testimonials

Worker lost life to electrocution in Calgary

Emergency crews were called to the Southcentre Mall around 12:30 p.m. on Wednesday for an incident near the north entrance. 

According to the Calvary CTV News, a man was killed after being electrocuted while working in an electrical room. EMS arrived to find the victim unresponsive, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

“We are saddened that an employee of a contractor was injured and subsequently died while working at our property,” a spokesperson for Southcentre Mall said in a statement to CTV.  

“Everyone who works at Southcentre is a part of a committed community and our staff are deeply impacted by what occurred. Our thoughts are with the individual’s family.”

OSHA is investigating the incident.

Click  here to read the entire article

OSHA National News Release: US Department of Labor cites Company for exposing workers to safety hazards, proposes $154K in penalties

OSHA National News Release

US Department of Labor cites Foundation Food Group Inc. for exposing workers to safety hazards, proposes $154K in penalties
March 11 ammonia leak happened 42 days after January incident killed 6 workers

GAINESVILLE, GA – On Jan. 28, 2021, an uncontrolled release of liquid nitrogen at a Gainesville poultry processing facility claimed the lives of six workers. Less than two months later, workers were again subjected to a chemical release at the plant, after an ammonia leak on March 11.

A U.S. Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigation identified 23 safety and health violations at the facility. OSHA cited Foundation Food Group Inc. for exposing workers to dermal and respiratory hazards associated with the potential unexpected release of anhydrous ammonia and for failing to install a system that protected employees.

In addition, OSHA found Foundation Food Group failed to:

    • Guard horizontal shafts on conveyors, which exposed workers to caught-in hazards.
    • Provide adequate training and ensure workers used locks to isolate hazardous energy while servicing conveyors.
    • Label electrical breakers, cover unused openings in electrical boxes, and use electrical devices as designed, which exposed workers to electrical-shock hazards.
    • Provide fall protection while working from equipment at heights over 4 feet.
    • Require employees use eye protection while working with compressed air.
    • Provide adequate hearing protection, testing, and training for employees exposed to high levels of noise.
    • Maintain drainage in areas of wet processes, exposing employees to slip hazards.

The agency proposed $154,674 in penalties.

“There is no situation where employees should be expected to risk serious injury or death, especially on the heels of a tragic incident that took the lives of six co-workers,” said Acting Assistant Secretary for Occupational Safety and Health Jim Frederick. “Foundation Food Group has again flouted their responsibility to assess workplace hazards and ensure measures are taken to protect employees. This is unacceptable and OSHA will continue its mission to hold employers accountable.”

 

Click here to read more from this OSHA News Release

OSHA News Release: Contractor cited after finding employer bypassed safety measures that led to worker’s fatal electrocution

OSHA News Release – Region 4

US Department of Labor cites Tavares contractor after finding employer willfully bypassed safety measures that led to worker’s fatal electrocution
United Signs & Signals Inc. failed to ensure electricity was secured

TAVARES, FL – In the early afternoon of March 2, 2021, a 44-year-old electrical technician at an Orlando work site climbed down into a trench to splice electrical wires to power streetlights. Not long after, the worker made contact with live wires and suffered fatal electrocution, a death the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigators deemed avoidable had the employer taken required safety measures.

OSHA’s investigation led the agency to cite United Signs & Signals Inc. – operating as US&S – with two willful violations for exposing workers to electrical-shock hazards by failing to de-energize or guard circuits and exposing workers to cave-in hazards by neglecting to ensure the use of protective measures to safeguard employees. OSHA also cited US&S with two serious violations for not ensuring workers had a safe means to exit excavations and allowing employees to work in a trench with accumulated water.

OSHA proposed $237,566 in penalties.

“A man is dead because of US&S’s willful indifference toward protecting its workers,” said OSHA Area Office Director Michelle Gonzalez in Jacksonville, Florida. “This terrible loss should remind employers that safety measures are never optional, and the consequences for ignoring them can be fatal.”

Click here to read more from this OSHA News Release

 

Leamington Greenhouse fined $120K after fatal workplace accident

Leamington Greenhouse fined $120K after fatal electrical shock

A Leamington greenhouse has been fined $120,000 after a worker died from an electrical shock in November 2018.
[Worker, 29 dies after being electrocuted – November 19, 2018]

Great Lakes Greenhouses Inc., a cucumber grower, pled guilty to failing to comply with a section of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in provincial court this week.

During the fatal incident, the worker was re-arranging wiring and doing breaker work when he received the shock.

The electricity had not been properly locked out as required by law, according to a news release form the ministry.

Along with the $120,000 fine, the company is also required to pay a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge, which goes to a fund to assist victims of crime.

 
For more information:
CTV News Windsor
CTV News Windsor- Article from NOV 2018
BlackburnNews
 
 

 

 

 

Tully man who died at Novelis aluminum facility was electrocuted, deputies say

Tully man who died at Novelis aluminum facility was electrocuted, deputies say

A man who died while working at the Novelis Inc. aluminum factory in Oswego County on Friday morning appears to have been accidentally electrocuted, deputies said.

Peter Clark Jr., 54, of Tully, was electrocuted while working as a contractor at the Scriba factory, said the Oswego County Sheriff’s Office. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Clark worked for Ridley Electric, a Syracuse company. Friday wasn’t the first time he had done a job at Novelis.

“Pete was a frequent visitor to our facility, and many of our employees knew him well and admired him at work and in the community,” said Leila Giancone, a Novelis spokeswoman.

Clark’s death remains under investigation, the sheriff’s office said.

Novelis, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Ridley Electric are also working together to investigate the deadly accident, Giacone said. She declined to release more information about what happened.

Clark was a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 43 union.

Click here for the full article

OSHA fines Waukegan plant after explosion kills 4, including 3 from Kenosha Count

OSHA fines Waukegan plant after explosion kills 4, including 3 from Kenosha Count

Investigators continue to search for one missing person in the rubble of the former factory.

WAUKEGAN, Ill. — The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has fined an Illinois plant following an explosion that killed four workers.

The Waukegan-based company, AB Specialty Silicones, is facing $1.59 million in fines for 12 federal safety violations after four employees were killed in an explosion on May 3, 2019. Three of the four killed were from Kenosha County.

OSHA investigators determined that “AB Specialty Silicones failed to ensure that electrical equipment and installations in the production area of the plant complied with OSHA electrical standards, and were approved for hazardous locations.”

The Principal Deputy Assistant Secretary of Labor for Occupational Safety and Health Loren Sweatt said, “By ignoring safety and health requirements, this employer created an unsafe work environment with deadly consequences.”

Click here for the entire story from WTMJ-TV Milwaukee