Leamington Greenhouse fined $120K after fatal electrical shock
A Leamington greenhouse has been fined $120,000 after a worker died from an electrical shock in November 2018.
[Worker, 29 dies after being electrocuted – November 19, 2018]
Great Lakes Greenhouses Inc., a cucumber grower, pled guilty to failing to comply with a section of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in provincial court this week.During the fatal incident, the worker was re-arranging wiring and doing breaker work when he received the shock.
The electricity had not been properly locked out as required by law, according to a news release form the ministry.
Along with the $120,000 fine, the company is also required to pay a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge, which goes to a fund to assist victims of crime.