Testimonials

OSHA Cites Contractor after Employees Suffer Burns from an Arc Flash

U.S. Department of Labor Cites Tennessee Contractor
After Two Employees Burned at Nuclear Power Plant

SODDY DAISY, TN – The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has cited Day & Zimmerman NPS Inc. for exposing employees to electric shock hazards at the Tennessee Valley Authority Sequoyah Nuclear Power Plant in Soddy Daisy, Tennessee. The company faces $71,599 in proposed penalties.

Two employees pulling electrical cable suffered burns from an arc flash. OSHA cited the Chattanooga-based company for failing to require that employees wear protective clothing and equipment; conduct pre-job briefings with employees on energy source controls; removal of a ground and test device; and allow potential for residual electrical energy to accumulate.

“These serious injuries could have been prevented if the company had implemented effective work practices to reduce the risk of electric shock hazards,” said OSHA Nashville Area Office Director William Cochran.

Click here for more information and to read the news release directly from the U.S. Department of Labor

What is Arc Flash Training and How can Jacman Group help?

View our explainer video below to learn more about Arc Flash Training & how Jacman Group Safety can help you:

The Jacman Group is the industry leader in quality safety training and can help you establish compliance with OSHA Electrical Safe Work Practices &
NFPA 70E for Arc Flash/ Electrical Safety in the Workplace.

Click here to learn more about our Arc Flash Training Classes

Visit our About Us page to learn more about The Jacman Group or feel free to call us anytime for more information 877-252-2626

QUESTIONS & INFORMATION

Contact us for more information on our Arc Flash training and electrical safety services:

Call: 877-252-2626 | Email: info@jacmangroupsafety.com | Click here to contact us

OSHA reviews cause of two arc flash accidents, finding they could have been prevented if the workers performed a simple test

In both cases the workers did not test to verify the equipment was actually deenergized before beginning the work- they believed it was, and that could have cost them their life. If they had taken the extra time to perform a simple test, these accidents could have been prevented.

Summary from ISHN of OSHA analysis of two arc flash accidents:
–In the first case study, an electrician was working on a circuit breaker panel that he thought was deenergized. After completing the work, the electrician was closing one of the enclosure doors when an arc flash occurred. Electric current from the energized panel moved through the air to the closed panel door. The rapid release of energy caused the panel door to fly open, hitting the worker and knocking him unconscious as the panel continued to arc.

Although the electrician believed that all power had been deenergized from the electrical panel, OSHA said this incident could have been prevented by voltage testing the electrical panel before starting work. Taking the time to perform a simple test can ensure workers’ safety.

Often arc flashes occur when reenergizing panels after maintenance. Proper cleaning is one method of reducing this hazard.

–In the second case study, an electrician and a coworker were retrofitting dated equipment, installing new buckets on a switch gear. The electrician mechanically disconnected the switch, but he did not test it to verify deenergization. As he attempted to remove the switch from the switch gear, an arc flash occurred. The electrician was severely burned and suffered acute respiratory stress.

OSHA said disconnecting the switch was not sufficient to prevent the flow of electricity through the equipment. The equipment should have been voltage tested to verify that it was deenergized before beginning work, as all sources of power to the equipment were not secured.

We cannot say it enough, it’s so important to always test to verify equipment is deenergized before starting any work. You must assume it’s live and wear the proper PPE to perform the test. Take those few extra minutes. It can safe your life.

Renewable Energy Company cited after fatality at New Hampshire Power Plant

 

U.S. Department of Labor Cites New Jersey Renewable Energy Company
Following Fatality at New Hampshire Power Plant

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited EWP Renewable Corp. doing business as Springfield Power L.L.C., for 25 safety violations after an employee suffered fatal injuries when he was pulled into a conveyor at the company’s Springfield plant in New Hampshire in November last year.

The Mount Laurel, New Jersey-based parent company faces $125,460 in proposed penalties. OSHA inspectors found that the conveyor and other machinery lacked required safety guarding, and employees were not trained in lockout/tagout procedures to prevent equipment from unintentionally starting.

Springfield Power was also cited by OSHA for fall hazards, electric shock and arc flash hazards, lack of adequate emergency evacuation and fire prevention, and hazardous energy control programs, according to a press release issued Friday, June 1st, 2018.

“This employer’s failure to protect employees resulted in a tragedy that could have been prevented if training was provided and machinery was appropriately guarded,” Rosemarie O. Cole, OSHA New Hampshire Area Director, said in the press statement.

The company has 15 business days from receipt of its citations and proposed penalties to comply, request an informal conference with OSHA’s area director, or contest the findings.

Click here for more information from this OSHA News Release

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Burned While Working On Electrical Distribution Panel

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Employee Burned While Working On Electrical Distribution Panel

Accident: 104328.015Employee Is Working On An Electrical Distribution Panel And

At 2:00 p.m. on March 15, 2018, an employee was setting up to install breakers in a live 480V distribution panel at the switch gear area for an office build-out. The employee made contact with the bus bars when a screw driver fell inside the electrical panel and he suffered first, second, and third degree burns to his arm and face from an arc flash. The employee was hospitalized.

Click here for the full accident report details.