Testimonials

Maintenance worker suffers electrical shock

Maintenance worker suffers electrical shock in accident at Capitol Monday, rushed to hospital

On the morning of December 21st, first responders rushed to the State Capitol building in Baton Rouge where a maintenance employee was shocked in an electrical accident.

The injured employee is reportedly awake and expected to recover. Officials say the injured employee was rushed to the hospital shortly after the incident, and is expected to recover.

According to the United States Department of Labor, electrocution has been one of the leading causes of on-the-job deaths among construction workers for years.

Click here for the full story from WBRZ

PPE for Arc Flash Protection

You’ve been asking for our help with your PPE needs, we’re happy to announce we’re now providing our customers with the convenience of Arc Flash protection clothing, rubber insulated gloves, and double-insulated hand tools.

These are high quality products, made here in the USA, and our customers receive a discounted corporate rate on all products. With our corporate account, there are no contracts or minimum orders, next day shipping, as well as customizable orders.

PPE Kits available that are specially designed to meet NFPA 70E ARC Flash PPE Categories:

  • Category 2
  • Category 3
  • Category 4

Click here to learn more about available products.

Contact us for your discount authorization code to begin ordering your PPE:
Call:  (877) 252.2626 ext. 157   | Email:  PPE@jacmangroupsafety.com

MSHA Accident Report: July 9, 2020 Fatality

Hudson Sand Mine, Peach, Georgia – July 2020

The morning of July 9th, 2020, a mine superintendent with 36 years of mining experience lost his life when he contacted energized high-voltage components in a 4,160 volt (4,160 VAC), three-phase electrical enclosure.

The accident occurred because the mine operator’s policies, procedures, and training were inadequate to ensure that the employees properly de-energized, locked out, tagged, and tested the 4,160 VAC enclosure and internal components prior to performing work on the circuits.

Click here for the full investigation report 

 

“Best Practices” provided by MSHA: 
  • Follow these steps before performing electrical work inside a high voltage enclosure:
    1. Locate the high voltage visual disconnect away from the enclosure that supplies incoming electrical power to the enclosure.
    2. Open the visual disconnect to provide visual evidence that the incoming power cable(s) or conductors have been de-energized.
    3. Lock-out and tag-out the visual disconnect yourself. Never rely on others to do this for you.
    4. Ground the de-energized conductors.
  • Verify circuits are de-energized using properly rated electrical meters and non-contact voltage testers.
  • Ensure properly qualified miners perform all work on high voltage equipment.
  • Wear properly rated and well maintained personal protective equipment, including arc flash protection such as a hood, gloves, shirt and pants.
  • Train miners on safe work practices for high voltage electrical equipment and circuits.

 

COVID-19 June Update: We have options in place for you during this time

As the COVID-19 concerns are still very real, we’re providing the Arc Flash/NFPA 70E training virtually for everyone’s safety.

Students can complete the same live instructor-led, interactive courses in a safer environment.

  • Live Virtual classes now scheduling throughout this summer and fall
  • Whether it’s just a few or groups of 100 or more, we can help you get this accomplished
  • Scheduling at your convenience and we can accommodate multiple shifts

We want to assure you that we’re taking all necessary health and safety precautions in accordance with the CDC and local and state health officials, and we’ll continue to actively monitor developments related to Coronavirus (COVID-19). The health and safety of our customers and employees is our highest priority.

We understand so many are affected by this and concerned about COVID-19 and the unknown that it poses, and how long this could go on. As a critical service provider, we are committed to continue keeping you compliant and ensure employee safety throughout this time, and try to maintain some sense of normalcy, as much as possible!

If you’d prefer, we can still come on-site to your facility to conduct the training as long as the CDC requirements are met.

As a critical service provider, we are committed to continue supporting essential companies and protecting all workers throughout this challenging time. Feel free to contact us anytime 877-252-2626, info@jacmangroupsafety.com.

We are all in this together.

OSHA fines TPC Group $514,692 for willful violations linked to explosion

OSHA fines TPC Group $514,692 for willful violations linked to explosion

TPC Group faces $514,692 in fines from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and is accused of three willful violations — the most severe and rare category used by the agency — after OSHA concluded its investigation into the Nov. 27 plant explosion in Port Neches.

OSHA announced its conclusions Wednesday, giving some of the first official glimpses of potential failures at the plant since a vapor cloud explosion under a butadiene processing tower ignited flames that burned for weeks at the site and injured three people.

“OSHA cited TPC for three willful violations for failing to develop and implement procedures for emergency shutdown, and inspect and test process vessel and piping components,” representatives from the agency wrote in a statement.

Of the willful violations, OSHA concluded that TPC Group failed to provide updated instructions on how to shut down affected equipment, didn’t fix deficient equipment that could have caused the incident or alerted workers to a problem, and failed to use proper procedures on a pipeline design known to cause issues when using butadiene.

Click here for the rest of the article

Tully man who died at Novelis aluminum facility was electrocuted, deputies say

Tully man who died at Novelis aluminum facility was electrocuted, deputies say

A man who died while working at the Novelis Inc. aluminum factory in Oswego County on Friday morning appears to have been accidentally electrocuted, deputies said.

Peter Clark Jr., 54, of Tully, was electrocuted while working as a contractor at the Scriba factory, said the Oswego County Sheriff’s Office. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Clark worked for Ridley Electric, a Syracuse company. Friday wasn’t the first time he had done a job at Novelis.

“Pete was a frequent visitor to our facility, and many of our employees knew him well and admired him at work and in the community,” said Leila Giancone, a Novelis spokeswoman.

Clark’s death remains under investigation, the sheriff’s office said.

Novelis, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Ridley Electric are also working together to investigate the deadly accident, Giacone said. She declined to release more information about what happened.

Clark was a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 43 union.

Click here for the full article