A construction worker died from electrocution on Monday morning in South Jordan, Utah.
Witnesses say they saw “flashes” while hearing an “explosion” at the same time, said South Jordan Police Sgt. Eric Hill.
Paramedics were called, but the man, who was identified as 50-year-old Shaun Robertson, died on scene before they arrived.
“It is extremely unfortunate that he was here working and doing his job, and had an unfortunate accident,” Hill said.
It was believed Robertson was part of a crew installing underground lines, he said. What exactly caused him to be electrocuted was not immediately known Monday.
Leamington Greenhouse fined $120K after fatal electrical shock
A Leamington greenhouse has been fined $120,000 after a worker died from an electrical shock in November 2018.
[Worker, 29 dies after being electrocuted – November 19, 2018]
Great Lakes Greenhouses Inc., a cucumber grower, pled guilty to failing to comply with a section of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in provincial court this week.During the fatal incident, the worker was re-arranging wiring and doing breaker work when he received the shock.
The electricity had not been properly locked out as required by law, according to a news release form the ministry.
Along with the $120,000 fine, the company is also required to pay a 25 per cent victim fine surcharge, which goes to a fund to assist victims of crime.
Hudson Sand Mine, Peach, Georgia – July 2020
The morning of July 9th, 2020, a mine superintendent with 36 years of mining experience lost his life when he contacted energized high-voltage components in a 4,160 volt (4,160 VAC), three-phase electrical enclosure.
The accident occurred because the mine operator’s policies, procedures, and training were inadequate to ensure that the employees properly de-energized, locked out, tagged, and tested the 4,160 VAC enclosure and internal components prior to performing work on the circuits.
Click here for the full investigation report
“Best Practices” provided by MSHA:
- Follow these steps before performing electrical work inside a high voltage enclosure:
- Locate the high voltage visual disconnect away from the enclosure that supplies incoming electrical power to the enclosure.
- Open the visual disconnect to provide visual evidence that the incoming power cable(s) or conductors have been de-energized.
- Lock-out and tag-out the visual disconnect yourself. Never rely on others to do this for you.
- Ground the de-energized conductors.
- Verify circuits are de-energized using properly rated electrical meters and non-contact voltage testers.
- Ensure properly qualified miners perform all work on high voltage equipment.
- Wear properly rated and well maintained personal protective equipment, including arc flash protection such as a hood, gloves, shirt and pants.
- Train miners on safe work practices for high voltage electrical equipment and circuits.
Tully man who died at Novelis aluminum facility was electrocuted, deputies say
A man who died while working at the Novelis Inc. aluminum factory in Oswego County on Friday morning appears to have been accidentally electrocuted, deputies said.
Peter Clark Jr., 54, of Tully, was electrocuted while working as a contractor at the Scriba factory, said the Oswego County Sheriff’s Office. He was pronounced dead at the scene.
Clark worked for Ridley Electric, a Syracuse company. Friday wasn’t the first time he had done a job at Novelis.
“Pete was a frequent visitor to our facility, and many of our employees knew him well and admired him at work and in the community,” said Leila Giancone, a Novelis spokeswoman.
Clark’s death remains under investigation, the sheriff’s office said.
Novelis, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and Ridley Electric are also working together to investigate the deadly accident, Giacone said. She declined to release more information about what happened.
Clark was a member of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 43 union.
Click here for the full article