Arc Flash victim avoids injury thanks to PPE

March 28, 2017

This worker was able to escape an arc flash without injury because he was wearing his PPE and it very well could have saved his life.

SHERMAN, Texas (KXII) — An arc flash at the Panda Power station Tuesday in south Sherman sent one employee to the hospital.

An employee was de-energizing on a breaker, according to Panda Energy spokesperson Bill Pentak, when an arc flash occurred.

“The employee was wearing his PPE (Personal Protection Equipment) gear, and he was taken to the hospital,” Pentak said. “The worker was not injured, and he has returned to the job.”

Pentak said the employee was taken to the hospital as part of Panda Energy’s emergency protocol. The facility, Pentak said, was already shut down for scheduled maintenance when the incident occurred.

The company is investigating why the arc flash occurred, Pentak said.

Click here to read more on this incident.

<< Back To Safety News
Testimonials

"I want to first off say our class was a success and your instructor was excellent. All agree who went. We were entertained and instructed at the same time. I have 32 plus years of this type of training and most of the time it is a boring slide show … "

View More →