OSHA Accident Report: 38 year old worker dies after being electrocuted while servicing crane

OSHA Accident Report: 38 year old worker dies after being electrocuted while servicing crane

Accident: 103143.015 – Employee Is Electrocuted While Servicing Crane

At 10:56 a.m. on February 15, 2018, an employee was servicing an overhead crane when he was electrocuted. The employee was transported to a nearby hospital, where he was determine dead on arrival.

Click here for the full accident report details.

Construction Worker Seriously Shocked

Construction worker seriously shocked in Venice

On January 9th, 2018, a 56-year-old construction worker was found lying on the ground at Village on the Isle, Venice, FL, critically injured.

When the accident occurred, the man had been working on equipment that was inside the electrical room. The unfortunate happening threw him across the room. When responders found him, he was somewhat conscious.

The worker had been seriously shocked and suffered electrical burns.

He was flown in a helicopter to the trauma center at Blake Medical Center located in Bradenton, FL for treatment.

To read the full article, click here

Hopefully Companies will Implement Safer Work Practices to Avoid these Types of Tragedies

Companies Fined for Big Bend Accident after Multiple Lives Lost and Serious Injury

In June of 2017, a total of five employees of Tampa Electric Co., Gaffin Industrial Services Inc. and Brace Integrated Services Inc. lost their lives due to serious injuries they incurred while on-the-job, and another suffered severe burns. After the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigated the Big Bend River Station electrical power plant in Apollo Beach, it was found that the employees had been burned because of a blockage that was inside a coal-fired furnace. When the blockage broke free, molten slag ejected out all over the work zone.

The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) fined Tampa Electric Co. and Gaffin Industrial Services Inc. a total of $160,972. Tampa Electric Co. was cited for neglecting to form processes to control hazardous energy. Tampa Electric Co. and Gaffin Industrial Services Inc. were cited for failing to supply employees with the necessary personal protective equipment (PPE) to ensure they would be protected from burns. Brace Integrated Services Inc. was not cited for anything.

Kurt Petermeyer, the OSHA Atlanta Regional Administrator, said, “This tragedy demonstrates what can happen when hazards are not properly controlled,” and added, “Employers must develop and implement necessary procedures to prevent incidents such as this from occurring.”

Tampa Electric Co. released the statement, “This accident has forever changed our company; the families of those affected remain our priority. We respect OSHA’s process and have participated fully with their investigation as a valuable part of understanding what happened. However, we respectfully disagree with the suggestion we were willful or deliberately indifferent to the safety of workers. We cannot change what happened, but we are committed to learning from it to ensure nothing like this happens again. Since the incident, our team and the union have been working hard together to improve safety, including reviewing and improving work procedures, strengthening the safety language in our collective bargaining agreement, and developing a long-term strategy to improve our safety culture. We are more focused on safety than ever before. As part of the process, we will meet with OSHA to discuss the citations and to determine our next steps.”

To read the full article, click here.

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: 23 Year Old worker Dies from Electrical Shock

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: 23 Year Old worker Dies from Electrical Shock

Accident: 101947.015 – Employee Dies From Electrical Shock

At 10:52 a.m. on November 30, 2017, Employee #1 was working on an energized female electrical plug at the “load out” line near door 1N of Building A, which conveys potatoes from the storage bin into trucks for transport to the processing plant. The employee had its female plug end partially disassembled, exposing the terminals, near an energized 480 volt electrical cord that was the outgoing power for the Spudnik eliminator. Employee #1 was found unresponsive, but was revived onsite by EMS and transported to a nearby hospital, where he died later that day.

Click here for the full accident report details.

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Worker is burned after receiving electric shock while replacing light ballast

OSHA ACCIDENT REPORT: Worker is burned after receiving electric shock while replacing light ballast

Accident: 99730.015 – Employee Receives Electric Shock While Replacing Light Ballast

At 12:00 p.m. on October 9, 2017, am employee was working from a ladder to replace the ballast of a light fixture. During work, the employee received an electric shock and fell from the ladder. The employee sustained burns to one of his fingers and multiple contusions, which he was hospitalized and received treatment.

Click here for the full accident report details.